Gallery

Friday, January 31, 2014

For the best...



It's not too often that I get the local pier to myself - there is usually at least one fisherman in situ -  but today's winds and rain keep even the most ardent angler away. I'm initially there in the hope of shooting something at low tide, but it soon becomes obvious that all I will get is grey sea and grey sky, and that is too much grey for this photographer today. Instead, I march purposefully towards the end of the pier in the descending gloom and driving rain, and photograph the structure against its setting on the coast.

I make no apologies for the continuous use of black and white imaging, but at the moment there seems to be so little colour to use. Besides, with subjects like this the light, shape and form work better with such an approach.



24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/50 second at f/7.1.  - 0.67 EV Compensation. ISO 800



© 2014

3 comments:

David c.h. Brown said...

Absolutely wonderful Richard! Love the tones and reflections. Thanks, Dave

Spanner said...

There Isn't a lot of colour in English seaside towns, as I'm beginning to discover but you've turned that to your advantage. Good shot :-)

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you, Dave. It might be dismal weather but if does give me all the more reason to keep producing mono images.

There's colour here, Spanner. Just not at the moment.