Gallery

Thursday, January 02, 2014

The unexpected...



There are several low spring tides this week, and although occurring frustratingly late in the afternoon I decide that I will make the attempt to photograph what amounts to a much larger beach. Hopefully nature will also play its part. I had the idea to use a 10 stop ND filter to create blur in both the sky and sea, but since nature refuses to perform today the shots are simply not working as I had hoped.

Once I open the files on the computer I see some potential in one or two exposures, but since there was no real colour amongst the clouds - and therefore the sea - I convert just one finished image to mono for inclusion on here. Having made what I consider to be the best job of the file, I casually click one of the last frames I shot before packing up and heading home, and it is immediately obvious that this photograph is far more successful.

The fact was the technique I had been employing was just not suited to the subject, and by the time I had framed a picture, and made anything up to a three minute exposure with the ND filter in place, it was clear that light levels were just too low for such a technique, so I removed it and took several  frames without. The sun had set some 40 minutes earlier, but there was still enough light in the sky to produce something quite beautiful.

Lucky me.



12-24mm f/4G AF-S Nikkor. 3 seconds at f/11. Tripod and remote release. Mirror lockup. ISO 200



© 2014

No comments: