Gallery

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Lone chestnut tree...



In the northern hemisphere we are just three days away from what is, on average, the coldest day of the year. This is due to the 23.4º axial tilt of the Earth and the imbalance of heat coming in and going out. Without delving too deep into the mechanics of how it all works it is odd that it is generally getting colder, despite the fact that the winter solstice was several weeks ago.

However, where I live it has remained relatively mild, although we in the UK have been - and are still being subjected to - strong winds and rain. I can't even lay claim to a frost as yet, although I suspect next month at least will bring me the kind of conditions I need for some winter scenes. Maybe even snow?

I've spent several days this week further east in the country; Kent, to be precise, with Nic. There was nothing too spectacular weather wise - although she did tell me that they have had several frosts during the past few weeks - but there was one day when the sky played ball and I got some photogenic light during late afternoon. Time for some serious shooting. The photograph was taken in Eastwell Park, and is of a lone chestnut tree, still sprouting life despite severe damage to the main trunk.



24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/80 second at f/11. ISO 320



© 2014

4 comments:

David c.h. Brown said...

Love the composition and tonal values Richard. Great stuff! Dave

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you, Dave. I knew it would work better in black & white the moment I framed the scene.

Nic said...

I know that tree...

Richard Brewer said...

You do, indeed, Nic. :-)