Gallery

Monday, January 27, 2014

Tick follows tock...



Ahab says: "I don't care who you are, here's to your dream". Well maybe not quite the intensity of a famous TV advert for the popular Irish dry stout, but a sole surfer waits for a wave on a local beach this afternoon.

Subject placement and composition can make or break a photograph. I have read of famous photographers telling pupils to stick the subject in the centre of the frame and shoot, and I have witnessed a professional shooter berate a student on a field tutorial for having the horizon half way up the frame in a image. Handy rules they may well be; sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but I stick my subjects where I please - without hesitation - and done with it.



24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/640 second at f/6.3.  - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 320



© 2014


3 comments:

Nic said...

Professional tutors can be right up their ... nice shot.

David c.h. Brown said...

Hey Richard,
I'm with you on the placement of the subject and the "rules". For me, they are often too stifling and distracting. If it feels good, press the shutter, and enjoy it. Thanks, Dave

Richard Brewer said...

I agree with both of you, Nic and Dave. If it looks good then it is good, that's what I say. :-)