Gallery

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Outside the wall...



It has been a while since I paid a visit to Nic; the scheduled trip having been postponed two weeks ago due to all the bad weather, so we both intend to cram in as much as possible during the four days I am in Kent.

Folkestone is our first port of call - literally - and although I have seen the town on a number of occasions from afar, today is my first visit. To be honest, I wonder why she hasn't taken me there before now, as it has a delightfully photogenic harbour, with views away to the east of the White Cliffs of Dover. What's more, the tide is out when we arrive, so it is possible to walk out of the harbour entrance and along the beach.

By the time we reach the Martello tower - one of many originally built along the coast to resist the advances of Napoleon at the beginning of the 19th century - the clouds draw in and the  heavens open with a hail shower. We shelter in the remains of a grafitti-covered World War II gun emplacement for the duration, and emerge to photograph a spectacular rainbow as the storm passes. However, today's photograph - seen and shot with a black and white conversion in mind as I fired the shutter - shows the harbour wall, and St. Peter's church spire on the cliff top.



24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/160 second at f/11. ISO 320. Lightroom conversion



© 2014

No comments: