Gallery

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Walking into a photograph...



I wasn't going to bother to go out today, but I'm glad I did. After all the turmoil of recent conditions the day broke with clear blue skies, and I had planned to shoot at low tide during late afternoon, but no sooner had I started to pack my camera bag it clouded over. Without some action in the heavens it could be a futile exercise, but cutting it somewhat fine in getting there, I decide to go anyway.

It is not very often that I can walk into a photograph, but today I did. I saw a sizeable flock of gulls on the shoreline as I walked - camera at the ready -, and thought it might make a good image as they rose up agains the setting sun, but before I got into position a dog being walked by its owner spooked them, and they were gone before I got the shot.

Up to that point there was little happening in the sky, but within moments the above opportunity presented itself as cloud built from the south west. I made a number of frames in both landscape and portrait formats, changing the composition slightly for each frame, but when the lone gull flew into the scene I knew I had what I wanted.



24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/8000 second at f/5.  - 1 stop EV compensation. ISO 400



© 2014

No comments: