Gallery

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Ancient camera; ancient sign...

I'm out early with a camera, this morning - not so early as to catch the dawn light; there isn't any, as such, as it is overcast - but early enough to avoid any rush-hour crowds. Not there will be any of those, either, as it is the second Bank Holiday of the Diamond Jubilee weekend celebrations in the UK, and most people have the day off.

I must have passed this painted wall sign many times (right), but never seen it before. The chemist it advertises has long gone, and the business replaced (currently) by an Italian restaurant. The sign itself has had the name of the original proprietor painted-over, although from what I can't decipher, and the paint has peeled and faded from a bygone age. Presumably an age where unqualified chemists were allowed to freely ply their trade. The mind boggles.

As ancient as the sign is the camera I used to photograph it (a Nikon D200) - in digital terms a dinosaur - it having been released in November 2005. I didn't take the digital plunge until June of the following year. Although successive models have been introduced since (and yes, I have one of those, as well), I find that in spite of this the camera still produces a good image, and didn't suddenly stop doing so the moment its successor came onto the market. Something worth bearing in mind, perhaps.


24-70mm f/2.8D EX DG Sigma lens. 1/250 second at f/5.6. ISO 400


© 2012

4 comments:

Dusty said...

Where is this sign ?

Richard Brewer said...

The location below the post pinpoints it. :-)

Dusty said...

Amazing- my brother lives in Grand Avenue and I must have walked past that sign a hundred times and not seen it ! Thanks

Richard Brewer said...

No problem. :-)