Gallery

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

High hopes...

Yesterday, I had two lenses returned in the post that had recently been sent for a service - one of them being a super-telephoto that matches the longest focal length at my disposal: a 300mm Nikkor. There are two significant differences between this and the other, faster 300mm optic I own: one is that it is smaller (and therefore lighter), and the other is that it is one f/stop slower. Both are very well built.

Since its return I did a bit of research into the lens on-line, and to my surprise read (from a trusted and reliable author), that the slower version performs better with a teleconverter attached. This, if true, could be good news, as I would be able to transport more than one lens on my back when such pulling power is needed - something impractical with the larger of the two lenses - so I set off for the local duck pond for a field test.

The article I read claims that with a x1.4 tele-converter attached it is perfectly feasible to shoot the f/4 lens at maximum aperture (f/5.6 with the converter) and still achieve top quality, so with the camera attached to a tripod I shoot away. I have high hopes of this combination since the lens is capable of focusing down to five feet, therefore opening up close-up shooting abilities, but upon opening the files on my computer, and under close scrutiny, I see that it doesn't quite match up to its bigger brother at the same f/stop settings. This is all down to the fact that I am able to slightly improve the optics of the larger, faster lens by stopping-down a touch - always good practice with extenders. Of course this is just pixel-peeping and it is an unrealistic appraisal of such a good lens. At normal viewing distances it still produces stunning photographs, but when the chips are down it will be the f/2.8 version I reach for before going out the door.

Just though I'd mention it.



300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/1250 at f/5.6. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400. Tripod



© 2013

No comments: