Gallery

Saturday, March 02, 2013

On the card...

An unexpected change in the weather - and certainly not forecast - and I am out on my bike with a big lens; heading for the river. There is now enough evidence of nature re-awakening so I thought it time to check up on several favourable locations, just to see how things are coming along for forthcoming planned shoots.

Last year I had great success photographing egret and heron at a weir on the Dorset Stour, and although flood waters over the past two months have subsided considerably there is still not enough rock exposed for the birds to use as a perch/feeding point, resulting in their (current) absence.

Not to worry - I only half expected to get any shots - so I attempt some water imagery instead (an impromptu Plan B), photographing the white water at different shutter speeds, but none of the pictures - in my mind - were a success. It came down to the arrival of two Mute Swans to save the day and to get something useable on the card (that phrase doesn't have quite the same ring as 'in the can' from the days of film, but there we go). I choose this image purely because it has the best reflection.



300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor. 1/6400 second at f/2.8.  -1 stop EV compensation. ISO 200. Monopod.



© 2013

2 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

Beautiful. You're right. The reflection is surreal.

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you, Tim. A good reflection can make a shot come to life.