Gallery

Saturday, September 21, 2013

At last, and over the Garden of England...





























It is good news: confirmed the night before, we are flying this morning. Although the alarm was set for 5 am I am awake long before that, so the early start is less of a wrench when we leave the house at six to get to one of the pre-arranged pick-up points. Today it is to be Hamstreet, Kent.

There are ten of us on the flight, and having been identified on the list we all pile into the minibus to be driven to the takeoff site. The sun has yet to rise by the time we arrive, but there is enough light to start taking photos of the preparations (top image). It is customary for the passengers to assist the pilot and ground crew in this, but I do admit that I shirked my responsibilities to a large extent, purely to get the shots I wanted. Hey, it was my first time off the ground in anything and I didn't want to miss it.

Matt - our pilot - tells us that it is perfect flying weather - and having inflated the envelope with the propane burners (see how quickly I pick up on the technical nomenclature?) we leave the  ground at 7.20 am.    

There is no real sense of climb - and certainly no breeze felt since we are moving at the same speed as any wind - but it is a memorable experience as we slowly move across the Kent countryside, the total silence only broken by the occasional blast from the propane burners and comments from the man flying the balloon (and fly it he does) and the rest of us. It is also a superb opportunity for photography.

Although we are in the air for just over an hour it is over all too soon, and we make a very gentle landing in a stubble field. The pilot and ground crew were in regular communication with each other, and the latter arrive on the scene to collect us as we touch down. Once the balloon is deflated and packed away into its bag - bottom image - (who'd think that something like that would be so heavy?), it is a glass of champaign all round for the passengers, although I opted for orange juice since I don't drink. All in all a throughly enjoyable - and magical - experience, and something I wouldn't hesitate to do again or recommend to others.

Second best birthday present, ever, Nic. Thank you, and thank you, Merlin Balloons: http://www.merlin-balloons.co.uk/



Lenses: 10.5mm f/2.8 AF-S Fisheye Nikkor (images 2 and 4)
             12-24mm f/4G AF-S Nikkor



© 2013

3 comments:

Nic said...

You did skirk! You shirked horrendously. There'll be no shirking next year, I tell you. Else you won't get your nice certificate. :P

Richard Brewer said...

I'm a photographer, Nic. I'm allowed to shirk physical effort in the name of art. ;-)

I didn't get my certificate this year, either, as you still have it. :P

Nic said...

I see. *makes notes*

I just found it in that car! I have your jumper too. You'll have to come back and collect them.