Gallery

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Landmarks...















Landmarks, in both aviation and birthdays, for this post, and a place I have wanted to visit for a long time.

As a small boy with an interest in flight and aircraft in particular, I was always captivated by the grainy footage of the pioneers risking everything when they went aloft in those flimsy-looking designs.

 Today, I was able to stand on the very spot where one of those "magnificent men" crash-landed his plane in 1909, near Dover Castle, Kent, after being the first person to cross the English Channel by aeroplane.

If you take the time to click on the "Location" link below, and zoom in, you will see how lucky he was to have missed all those trees.




12-24mm f/4G AF-S Nikkor.

Top: 1/40 second at f/8. ISO 200
Below: 1/100 second at f/7.1. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 320



© 2013

1 comment:

Nic said...

I don't know why you wouldn't have put the one up of me and Dolly flying the plane... :P