Gallery

Friday, October 11, 2013

At a later date...

It's autumn at its best as the weather changes from day to day. Yesterday, warm sunshine; today, wind and rain. Either suits me for picture taking.

The beach of Poole bay is deserted for the greater part of my walk, this afternoon. Now and then a cyclist appears out of the rain and darts by, and one or two others join me on the promenade at various intervals, but otherwise there is little human presence. Even the ubiquitous gulls are notably absent.

I always admire those that wrap-up and get outdoors for the fun of it in such weather, but what does puzzle me is the clothing they tend to favour in the rain. Typically, a waterproof top and jeans; the latter being a bad idea when it's wet as they take so long to dry once the rain stops. Why do they go to the trouble and expense of keeping the upper half dry, yet neglect the lower half? Curious, indeed. Perhaps they are intending to add waterproof trousers at a later date, or when finances allow. Maybe they just don't care. I have no idea. I also saw two people dressed in shorts, despite the coldness of the day. Hardy souls, indeed.

Today's image is of a sticker on a glass window in the windbreak on Boscombe pier. The fan-shaped background is part of the awning on the other side; there to keep the rain off of me - and others - should they be intent on being outside on such a day.


50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor. 1/100 second at f/7.1. + 0.33 EV compensation.  - 0.7 stop fill-in flash. ISO 200.



© 2013

2 comments:

Nic said...

That's exactly what combo I wore today.

I consider myself told.

Richard Brewer said...

It just strikes me as odd that people think their legs won't get wet. Not a good idea when wearing denim. Maybe okay for a dash to the shops for a pint of milk, but if staying out for longer then the wet clothes will make you lose heat quickly, and you soon become cold.