Gallery

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Unidentified Flying Object...

They said it would be cooler today, and they were right. Not as cold as they predicted, mind, and I soon discovered I was overdressed; and overheating, wrapped-up in fleeces and a woolly hat during a walk along the beach. It is a beautiful autumn day, with blue skies and warm sunshine, and I am shooting with a big lens. Nothing particular in mind; just lugging the thing about for the sake of it.

A sudden disturbance in bushes flushes-out three birds: a robin and two others, all three are small. The robin is defending territory but has its work cut out as no sooner does it chase one interloper away, the other takes its place. I stop and start making photographs; gradually moving closer, and to get better angles.

During this time a man passes me; stops, and says:"Go on then, impress me with what that is", pointing at the bird in the photograph. "I've no idea", I replied. "I'll have to look it up when I get home". I think that he thought I was some knowledgeable bird buff, but I'm not. I just appreciate their beauty.

So, back home; images uploaded... and then the problem begins. I can't find the species on any of the online bird identifier web sites. I tick various boxes that supposedly will tell me what I have here: beak size; body size; plumage colour, and numerous other characteristics that should reveal all... but nothing.

My friend Nic joins the hunt online. She is confident that she will find out what it is, and after twenty minutes or so of searching, she does. It's a Stonechat. When I told the man I had no idea what the bird was, it very nearly remained that way. Thank you, Nic.


300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/2000 second at f/5.6. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400. Monopod


© 2013

No comments: