Gallery

Friday, October 04, 2013

Drama, and a sense of scale...

The forecast stormy weather this week never materialised in the south. Instead of strong winds and rain I actually got sunshine and a brisk breeze. It is said that it is necessary to check at least three different weather forecasts, and if they are more or less in agreement then what they predict will actually happen: in other words, a "dead cert". Otherwise, it seems, they are just guessing. I was out in shirt sleeves, today, as temperatures are above average for the time of year, touching 20º Celsius in the sunshine.

What I can rely on are tide tables and the time of year. There are several high and low spring tides over the next few days, and autumn brings with it some dramatic skies. Although the tide had already turned when I shot the photos from Boscombe pier, this afternoon, there was still enough exposed wet sand to make things interesting when the light came. The figures give the scenes a sense of scale.





                               





















24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 

Top: 1/5000 second at f/8. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400
Below: 1/1600 second at f/8. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400



© 2013

1 comment:

Nic said...

We had a cracking sunset yesterday evening, but I didn't catch it as I was on my Auntie Nic quest. :)