Gallery

Friday, December 06, 2013

Afterglow after sunset...

The storm that hit the northern parts of the UK didn't make it as far south as the forecasters said it would, although there was widespread flooding in low-lying areas due to the high tides that coincided with the storm front. Although the waters were higher than the storm of 1953 - which claimed hundreds of lives through drowning - the improved sea defences (as a result of the disaster), did their job admirably.

It was not clear if travel was going to be a good idea for my return trip, today, but the high winds never materialised in the southern counties, and the drive back to Dorset was not in any way a risk.

The sky looked good once I arrived home, and having checked the tide tables (a low one was due for early evening), I decide that an hour or so of late afternoon photography would be a nice way to round-off a very pleasant stay with Nic. The predicted low tide will occur in darkness, so I know I won't get the full effect, but all the same I hold off from making photographs until the sun has set. Once again the 10 stop ND filter is being used to create long shutter speeds, which makes the most of the afterglow. It only lasts for a few minutes, but I feel that I have what I came for. Lucky me.


12-24mm f/4G AF-S Nikkor. 60 seconds at f/11. ND1000 filter. Tripod and remote release.



© 2013


No comments: