Gallery

Monday, December 09, 2013

Having fun...

No doubt about it. This new filter is giving my photography a much needed boost and I'm having a lot of fun with it in the process. I never have been a big user of filters for photography, apart from the occasional grey graduated or polariser, but for this one I make the exception. I am hooked.


I am on a local beach during late afternoon, and the sea and sky are exactly what I wanted: calm and cloudless respectively. I make a number of long exposures as the sun dips to the horizon, but it is after it has disappeared altogether that I start to make the photographs I am here for.

I have always been struck by the colour contrasts of the sky and water once the sun has set, and I use this to great effect to produce a simple, yet striking, image.


24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 80 seconds at f/11. ND 1000 filter. Tripod and remote release. ISO 200



© 2013

3 comments:

David c.h. Brown said...

Love these images taken with the ND1000 filter Richard. I have never used one, but I think I will be before too long. Beautiful! Dave

Tim O'Keefe said...

I truly love this art. I feel as though I can imagine where you live through your work. Do you do portraits too, or do you mainly stick with the great outdoors?

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you, David and Tim. The filter is allowing me to look at everyday scenes and transform them into something yet again . A highly recommended addition to the photographer's camera bag. You'll love one, Dave.

I don't usually do portraiture, Tim, although I have taken the odd snap the sitter is pleased with.