Gallery

Saturday, December 07, 2013

Two bridges...


I'm going to have to watch myself with this new filter, as it might quickly become overdone. However, for the time being it will get as much use as I can put it to, so you will have to indulge me for a while yet.

All too often I bemoan the lack of good light when I want to shoot, but this filter has the opposite effect on me. I find myself hoping for grey, dull days and low light levels, so I can use long shutter speeds in the middle of the day, and not have to worry about stopping the lens down too much to help things along.

Today, I choose two local bridges as a subject. Both span the Dorset Stour at Iford; are 80 yards (73 metres) apart, and situated roughly three miles upstream before the river meets the Dorset Avon. Both rivers then empty into Christchurch harbour, and finally the sea. The old bridge is downstream from its more modern counterpart, and is a Grade II listed building. Originally built on the site of the fording point of the river, it dates from 1784 and built from Purbeck stone. The newer bridge carries the A35, and was opened in 1932.



12-24mm f/4G AF-S Nikkor.

Top: 50 seconds at f/11
Below: 45 seconds at f/11

ISO 200. ND 1000 filter. Tripod and remote release.



© 2013

No comments: