Gallery

Monday, December 02, 2013

The big stopper...

Every once in a while a photographer will add something to the arsenal of gadgets and lenses that takes image making to another level for him or her. It is almost a year to the day that I first thought about buying a "big stopper": a ND1000 neutral density filter and actually getting one. I'm glad I did.

Such filters are almost opaque, and they prevent 10 stops of light from getting through the lens and on to the sensor. Quite why anyone would want that might be a mystery to some. After all, it's all about the light, isn't it? Well, yes, but being able to control the amount to such a degree opens up all sorts of creative possibilities.
So, armed with this new gadget I set off to the local pier to learn how to use it.

It is a grey day - ideal for what I have in mind - although the leaden sky does break as soon as I arrive, but no matter. It will all add to the effect. It is very time consuming to shoot with such a device on the front of the lens since once it is attached nothing can be seen through the viewfinder, and I have to unscrew it every time I change composition. Still, no bad thing as it slows me down and allows me to work in a more thoughtful way. Of course, a tripod is a must with this type of shooting.

Everything has to be done in manual mode - from meter reading to focusing - then the necessary filter factor applied to get a good exposure. Despite all that light being prevented from getting into the lens I am still forced to stop down the lens much further than I would like, due to diffraction, but for today's purposes I will let it go.

For a first attempt I was rather pleased with the results, and coupled with my renewed interest in monochrome imaging it has opened up new horizons for my photography. Which, let's face it, can be no bad thing.


12-24mm f/4G AF-S Nikkor.

Top: 16 seconds at f/22. ISO 160
Right: 50 seconds at f/22. ISO 200

Manual focus and metering. Exposures timed by my watch. Tripod and remote release. Mirror lockup in bulb mode.



© 2013

1 comment:

Tim O'Keefe said...

Ahhh. It looks surreal.