Gallery

Monday, March 10, 2014

Is it art?...



For the past week I have been trying to photograph the emerging season of spring, and in particular the numerous displays of daffodils and crocus. Unfortunately, none of the sessions spent shooting have produced anything to my liking. Last week I worked with a super-telephoto lens; today a standard zoom, but the results simply haven't worked. I do have an idea or two in mind before the displays die-off, so fingers crossed I will get something before that happens.

Looking like something you might find hanging in a modern art gallery (above), today's inspiration comes from nothing more than the worn and damaged sides of an industrial skip*. Initially, I walked straight past it, but as nothing I was photographing today looked like it would make it past the first edit stage on my computer, I decide to return and take a closer look at the colours and textures.

I'm pleased I did.



24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/200 second at f/4. ISO 400




*Addendum: A skip is known as a dumpster in the USA (see comments, below), and this is the one I photographed on the seafront. It is being used to collect and remove the remains of the demolished beach huts, some of which which were damaged beyond economic repair in the recent storms. 




© 2014

3 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

I'm glad you stopped at for that one, Richard Brewer. While I don't know what a skip is, I can see why you thought it would make an interesting composition. Beautiful.

Nic said...

Like it. :)

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you for the comments, Nic and Tim. Always appreciated. :-)