Gallery

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Serendipity...



I hadn't given much thought about making a blog post, but the photograph - taken yesterday - is the result of some idle experimentation. I had converted what was a pretty run-of-the-mill image to black and white in an effort to give it some impact, but instead of abandoning it* like you do, I made a copy and continued to faff-about with it..

Using the brush tool in Adobe Lightroom, I discovered that I could tint areas of the photograph simply by picking a colour - and its strength - and paint it in. This technique - that of selective colouring - is considered old hat in the photographic fraternity (and let's face it, it is), but the effect I have used is much more subtle than that. The procedure is, of course, known by Lightroom users, but when you discover something by accident; through the will of trial and error, it becomes a legitimate part of your work flow.


*Art is never finished, only abandoned - Leonardo daVinci.



24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/100 second at f/7.1. - 1 stop EV compensation. ISO 400



© 2014    

No comments: