Gallery

Sunday, March 02, 2014

Making your own light...



The last day of my stay with Nic (she always makes me feel so welcome), and the weather takes a dip. No rain, or anything like that, but the sky becomes the familiar grey blanket we have seen so much of over the past few months.

Not that is something I worry about when out shooting. The photographer has two options in such situations: don't include the sky; or make your own light, as I did with this picture of the Willesborough Windmill, near Ashford. It is an established darkroom technique to burn-in areas you want darker, or "dodge" selected areas to keep (or make), lighter. Of course, all this is so much easier to achieve digitally, and more so with the flexibility of Lightroom.



12-24mm f/4G AF-S Nikkor. 1/160 second at f/8. ISO 250. Adobe Lightroom conversion.



© 2014

2 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

For some reason your posts didn't come up on my blog scroll for several days. I'm glad I checked. More brilliant work. Real photographers must love your stuff. As well as the lessons you teach.

Richard Brewer said...

There's a good reason for that, Tim. I only just put them there.

When I am away from my main computer - and home - I don't make blog posts on the day the photograph was taken, and have to spend time catching up once everything is transferred from my laptop.

Silly, really, as I do process the images shortly after they have been taken. I will look into this shortcoming and be better in future. :-)