Gallery

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Low and tight does the trick...



Having started my quest nearly two weeks ago for a daffodil photograph differing from the norm, I think I have finally achieved what I set out to do. I've gone from super-telephoto to wide angle zooms - and then all points between - without producing satisfying results, so today I throw caution to the wind and tackle the job with the widest optic available to me: a fisheye lens. After all, if everything else I tried didn't produce the goods, what have I got to lose?

The most important piece of equipment I take on the shoot - apart from the camera itself - is a piece of plastic sheeting that I can spread out onto the still damp earth. This enables me to comfortably sprawl full-length on the ground, and to get in low and tight. I hadn't tried this approach with the other sessions, often photographing from bloom height or higher, but no sooner I do this it becomes obvious to me that this is what I've been after all along: dynamics.

The glass on the camera helps, of course, with its 180º angle of view and inherent huge depth of field, but the worms-eye view makes all the difference, and I am finally happy with the images I get. At last I can move on.



10.5mm f/2.8G AF-S Fisheye Nikkor. 1/800 second at f/11. ISO 250



© 2014

No comments: