Gallery

Friday, January 09, 2015

Blowy, but no storm



The storm mentioned in the last post did happen, although roughly 500 miles to the north. It is, however, somewhat windy on the south coast, but at least for the first part of the day I have blue skies. Thinking that I might get a chance to photograph the local kestrel as it hovers on the wind, or maybe kitesurfers, er...surfing (or both), I set off with one of my long lenses and a converter to see if either (or both) are to be found.

I draw a blank with the kestrel, but to pass the time I somewhat pointlessly take numerous pictures of gulls riding the updraft from the cliffs near the beach. Not that there is anything wrong with gulls per se, but unless I get something extraordinary I know I will just delete the files.

Anyway, the gusting wind is beginning to get getting the better of me, and since nothing is happening on the raptor front I decide to cut the morning's ramble short and head home to delete the gull shots. Besides, a weather front from the West is looming large and I'm about to lose the light; but not before I spot a solitary kitesurfer preparing his kit on the beach.  I manage to get a few well-timed images in the rough surf before the cloud rolls in and I call it a day.



300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/2500 second at f/5.6. Matrix metering. - 0.33 EV compensation. Monopod. ISO 400



© 2015

2 comments:

Spanner said...

I wonder if that kitesurfer will ever find out there's such a great picture of him amongst the waves?

Richard Brewer said...

He will, all in good time, Spanner. I have his details and will contact him when I publish a full set of shots on a surf website.