Gallery

Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Twelfth night and the first signs of spring



It is debatable as to which date is actually twelfth night, but Samuel Pepys always celebrated The Epiphany on the 6th, and if it is good enough for him then it is good enough for me. The point I am trying to make is that Christmas technically isn't over and the first signs of spring are already here. Blossom has started to appear on at least one tree that I saw, and crocuses - whilst visible before the holidays as shoots above ground - are now beginning to show flowers (above), although not yet open.




It is apparently next to impossible to plan any outdoor shoots with the weather forecasts being what they are, it seems, as today illustrates. Yesterday, I was faced with the prediction of leaden skies for the foreseeable future, yet the reality wasn't even close. Even the level of the tides took me by surprise, and I was treated to a glorious afternoon for me to casually roam the beaches with my camera.




I couldn't make up my mind as to which shots to use so I included two. I haven't produced much so far this year and thought it a good idea to redress the balance a bit. Both photographs were taken from the same spot but in opposite directions, and both were taken after the sun had set.



Top: 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/1000 second at f/4. Matrix metering.  - 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 320
Middle: 12-24mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/40 second at f/10. Matrix metering.  - 1 stop EV compensation. ISO 200
Bottom: 12-24mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/15 second at f/10. Matrix metering. ISO 500



© 2015

No comments: