Gallery

Thursday, April 19, 2012

300mm (Slight Return)...

I was rather hoping to get some action shots of kite-surfers on Poole bay, today, but calm seas and light winds scuppered my (and their, most likely, if they had any) plans. This is all part of my different lens a day week, and the selection is another super-telephoto.*

Keen observers will note it is the same focal length as the lens I used for Monday's shoot - again a prime lens - and may wonder why I have two such lenses at my disposal. Although one stop slower than its bigger brother, the 300mm f/4 is an asset when I want to travel light but need the reach. It is light enough to use hand held for extended periods, focuses down to around five feet and has stellar optics. I have no hesitation shooting with this lens wide open.

One of the characteristics of long lenses is the apparent image compression they can produce, with plane after plane piled on top of each other, creating the illusion that objects are much closer together than they actually are. This is demonstrated well in the photograph of Bournemouth sea front, this afternoon; the closest wooden groyne and the buildings in the distance being just over a mile apart.

*Any focal length from 300mm and up.


300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/2500 second at f/5.6. ISO 500


© 2012

No comments: