Gallery

Monday, April 16, 2012

Seven day project...

This week I am running a little project that involves shooting with a different lens each day, and kick it off with my favourite chunk of glass. I frequently shoot this optic with a tele-converter attached, but for these purposes the lens will be used "naked".

Today, it has been announced that the River Stour has been included in the current drought designation, so I thought I would pay it a visit. I have noticed recently that the water levels are somewhat lower than normal, but it is the upper reaches of the river that are suffering the most, with parts of the riverbed exposed high and dry. Not good news for spawning fish and other wildlife.

En route to the Stour Valley Nature Reserve (my primary location for today's shoot)  I stop by a local pond to see if there is anything happening, and I am treated to the inspiring sight of a mallard family with six ducklings in tow, and spend the best part of two hours trying to get a shot with all in focus. Not easy at the best of times. However, I opt to publish this photograph of a Tufted Duck, taken at the same spot, spreading its wings after some serious preening.


300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor. 1/2000 second at f/4.5. - 1 stop EV compensation. ISO 320. Monopod


© 2012

3 comments:

Nic said...

I wish I knew what any of the first paragraph meant. This may be a stupid question, but do you think that any of these things make any considerable difference? I am just interested as I had a conversation with somebody who suggested that actually it didn't too much. I can't say either way, myself, as I don't have any choice other than to work with the lenses I have.

Just curious, is all.

:-) N

Richard Brewer said...

There is no such thing as stupid questions, Nic: only stupid answers.

From my point of view, different focal lengths and different optical and mechanical designs have a great influence on the outcome of the photograph, especially from a pictorial aspect: some giving the impression of great depth, and others isolating subjects against an unwanted background, and all points in between.

So my answer is yes, I do think that different lenses make a considerable difference in the way I shoot, but a photographer still needs an 'eye' to achieve it all. Lenses only assist the final outcome.

Nic said...

Well, there we go. I certainly learn something every day, so thank you for that.

N