Gallery

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Going mobile...

The weather men (and women) have made the prediction that for a short period of time next week the UK will bask in warm temperatures and sunshine... before dipping back into what is best described as the British Summer later in the week: temperatures in the mid-teens and, of course, more rain. In fact it shows some early promise as the overnight rain and miserable conditions clear by early afternoon, and I eventually get out with a camera.

I feel I am spending too much time shooting on the beach these days, but as always, there is something that draws me in for a few snaps. Besides, water is incredibly photogenic.

It is my favourite type of sky happening over Poole Bay, Dorset: plenty of heavy cloud that is constantly on the move, casting large shadows over everything - interspersed with pools of sunlight that picks out detail - as with this chap, sat all alone on a pretty much empty beach.

At first I think he is fishing, since he is seated, but as I draw near I notice he has nothing to fish with: no rod or line. I make a few photographs anyway, placing him in the corner of the frame to enhance the feeling of his isolation. It's not until I open the files on my computer do I notice he is, in fact, just sitting by the sea, and playing with his mobile phone and taking in the sun.


70-200 f/2.8D Apo Sigma lens. 1/1250 second at f/8. + 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 320


© 2012

2 comments:

Nic said...

Ah, I thought you were going to say you took the picture of your mobile. I think you should do a week long experiment and just use your phone. A test of willpower.

I like the new look blog, and thank you for the little link. :)

Richard Brewer said...

That's not a bad idea, Nic. I don't know just how versatile my phone is, but I will give some thought for a weeks worth of blog images shot on the camera contained therein.

Thank you, and my pleasure. ;-)