Gallery

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Two fliers...

During the past few months I have taken to walking everywhere - well, not strictly true; I do use a car from time to time, and I have been on my bike (so to speak) - but cycling had fallen out of favour for photographic purposes. While I do not underestimate the value that two wheels can offer it can still be a hinderance, or I can miss so much, even at such a sedate pace.

Yesterday, I did something about it, and went for a ride for the pure pleasure of it; as I did again today. It was an overcast day, and I wasn't expecting anything remarkable, light wise, but I was treated to the appearance of five or six paragliders, taking advantage of the brisk off-shore breeze along the coast of Poole Bay, Dorset. I am ill equipped, lens wise (I had intended to photograph progress of the permanent memorial to Red Arrow pilot Jon Egging - they haven't even started it, yet), and the sky is pretty bland, but I decide to shoot a few token frames anyway. It's just as they reach the Sandbanks end of the promenade that the clouds part for long enough to reveal a blur of blue sky.

I take nine frames (two of which are out of focus) before the cloud again covers the heavens and the paragliders turn and head away from me. I include one such flier here, set adjacent to one of the prestigious Blue Flags flying - denoting top quality beaches - an accolade which Poole has maintained unbroken for the past 24 years, proudly flying also.


24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/1000 second at f/8. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 320


© 2012

2 comments:

Nic said...

I'd like to see how the memorial develops. Perhaps I will see it one day.

Richard Brewer said...

That would be nice. :-)