Gallery

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Nothing...

Back in December of last year I was having a discussion with friend and fellow photographer, Nic, about what to shoot on a particular day, and she came up with the idea to "take a photograph of nothing". Easier said than done, I assure you (I came home with images of storm clouds).

Although the notion had come to mind now and again whilst out shooting - just what would a shot of nothing entail? - I never saw an opportunity to fulfil that brief until this afternoon.

The recent rain (again) had finally moved off to some other part of Europe, leaving calm and warm weather over the south of the country at least, and it is a stroll along the beach of Poole Bay, Dorset, that I look out towards France (not visible here, as it is below the horizon), and see "nothing". Well, it is grey cloud and a flat sea, but there is no focal point to the photograph - just a study of grey tones. Whether I succeeded in my objective is up to the viewer, but it is a close as I think I will ever get without posting just a blank frame.


70-200mm f/2.8D Apo Sigma lens. 1/1250 second at f/5.6. ISO 400.


© 2012

2 comments:

Nic said...

The closer you look at nothing the more somethings you see. Try it. :)

Richard Brewer said...

I agree, Nic. At first I was just staring into the distance, and then I saw the scene in front of me. You just have to look. :-)