Gallery

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Blue...


In stark contrast to the dramatic directional light I was treated to the last time I walked the seafront with my camera, today's late afternoon sun was heavily diffused by cloud. This softening effect is particularly good light for outdoor portrait photography, but is equally useful for a range of subjects; in this instance, a seascape.

Being blessed as I am to live so near to water (both sea and river), I never become jaded with its qualities in good light. In fact, I could shoot water and its properties all day long when the light is right. That last part being crucial, since water will take on the shades and tones of the sky above, and today the weakness of the light makes all the difference.

A mild day for the time of year; and as windless as it ever gets on the coast, I spend an hour or so making numerous photographs of the pastel hues on offer; waiting the the cloud formations to develop; waiting for the waves to mirror the sky; waiting for the light. By the time I took this photograph the sun had already set.



24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/50 second at f/8. + 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

No comments: