Gallery

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

(Not) trampled underfoot...

Just as I did yesterday, I spend the first two hours of daylight today with my camera, beside the Dorset Stour. The recent spell of high pressure has kept the skies clear, allowing overnight temperatures to drop below zero and produce photogenic frosts. Yesterday's shoot was less than inspiring - I didn't use any of the few photographs I took - but today was a different matter, and governed solely by lens choice.

I had a super-telephoto lens packed for primary use, but I also slipped a 50mm prime into the bag (only just enough room for it) before I set off into the gloom of pre-dawn on my mountain bike. I prefer this way of travelling when shooting locally, and although it restricts just how much gear I can take with me, it is more than compensated for by the flexibility it allows of where I can go; and how quickly. The latter choice of optic proved to be a wise move since I was still, primarily, looking for otter as the sun broke the horizon. But as so often in recent months, they were nowhere to be seen. Instead, I attach the standard lens and concentrate on the frost-covered fallen leaves that litter the more sheltered areas of the river bank.

To do this, I shoot from a monopod, as it aids composition and keeps the camera nice and steady in the relatively low light. This technique involves having to bend almost double to get low enough, and to avoid kneeling on the cold, damp ground. As I work, I am approached by a lady walking her dog, and she asks me if I have fallen off my bike (it's laying in the grass, nearby), and am I okay? To her, it must have looked like I was in some sort of pain and distress! Still, nice that a complete stranger had the compassion to ask after my wellbeing. I was, of course, perfectly fine.

Getting in so close can be a tricky affair, and I have to be careful where I tread when looking for pleasing arrangements and compositions, since once I step somewhere it is effectively taken out of the equation to be photographed; the frozen effect being flattened by a muddy boot. It is something you learn to do yourself with this type of photography; not to trample your subject underfoot.



50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor. 1/100 second at f/5.6. - 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

1 comment:

Nic said...

Well, bugger me. I took this shot yesterday (I didn't see this one - truth! ;) ). I'll pop the shot up today.