Gallery

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Having fun...

The weather continues to see-saw erratically, with more heavy rain causing landslips on some parts of the coast of Dorset. On top of that, flooding returns to cause disruptions and misery at one of the busiest times of the year. There are some, however, that are all too keen to take advantage of the inclement conditions; water sports enthusiasts, for one... and photographers for another.

I'm only using one lens for the job, today - a telephoto zoom - to cover as many bases as possible, and a protective filter over the front element purely to assist in the cleaning of the front element of rain - inevitable, in such conditions. Ordinarily, I eschew the use of such attachments, but when their use is practical I have no compunction in doing so.

It is very late in the day - and in the descending gloom - that I find the best of the action available, but even shooting with the lens wide open it is difficult to get sharp images as I am jostled by the gusting winds; the shutter speeds being so slow. So I elect to stop-down the lens a touch and ramp up the ISO setting to compensate. I also deliberately underexpose ⅔ of a stop from the meter reading to give me much needed shutter speed, and to add to the overall mood. I have already decided to convert to mono before I take any shots (the ISO number helped dictate this), and add simulated film grain to the picture in post processing to help convey the grittiness of the scene.

I do so love shooting in such weather.



70-200mm f/2.8D EX Apo Sigma lens. 1/250 second at f/4. - 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 1600


© 2012

2 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

Funny how B&W gives such an interesting look to some photos. There is such movement in this one.

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you, Tim. I loved the gritty effect that fast film used to impart on scenes such as this - especially when uprated. Of course, it is so much easier (and more convenient) these days. ;-)