Gallery

Friday, December 21, 2012

The Winter Solstice...

One of my favourite days of the year (weather permitting) for photography, and everything weather-wise points to making the effort for an early start, today.

By early start, I mean a reasonably early start - at a civilised time - since I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to get the early light (one of the main reasons I like shooting in winter). The only drawback is the cold, but even then, it's quite mild for late December, despite clear skies.

I arrive in plenty of time before the main event, and as I set up with as much focal power as I am able to muster, I spy a local kestrel swoop down onto the beach, and then fly up to perch atop a lamp post, not twenty feet from me. Of course, the only ingredient missing from the mix is light itself, as the sun has yet to break the horizon. Nevertheless, I still take a number of shots 'just in case', although shutter speeds are low in the gloom. The Vibration Reduction system that is built into the lens helps to a small extent, but it is not infallible. Despite my best efforts I feel that the shots are not coming together; confirmed when I view the files on my computer screen. I delete the lot. Not to worry. I feel there will be other opportunities (the end of the world not withstanding).

But it is our star that I'm really interested in, and although not visible at the predicted time of rising, it makes its appearance over Poole Bay, Dorset, at 8.10am (photo). I have to work quickly under such conditions as the orb move surprisingly quickly under such magnifications, and the shoot is finished in a little over two minutes. After that, it is just too bright, and the effect is lost.


300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/2000 second at f/5.6. ISO 400. Monopod


© 2012

No comments: