Gallery

Friday, December 07, 2012

Red berries and sunlit reeds...

It is surprising, even in the depths of winter, just how much colour - and life - can be found in nature if you are prepared to look for it. Whilst most think that the advent of autumn sees plant life shut down for the duration, there are some species; Holly, for example, and the Rose Hip (right) that produce their most striking displays during the winter months. Because of this, the former evergreen has always been a popular decoration for the Yuletide season. Although it is possibly too early to be thinking about spring, there are numerous buds appearing on some trees. The cycle never stops entirely.

I am travelling with a fast super-telephoto lens, today, purely for its pictorial qualities rather than reach. Temperatures on this clear afternoon are hovering a couple of degrees above zero Celsius, and once again I am down by the river. Although suitably clad head to toe in everything thermal, I don't hang around for long: the light I want to use for the shoot is fast disappearing behind the tree line, and I have to work quickly.

I never quite felt I did justice to some of the subjects I photographed two days ago at the same spot, so there is always the opportunity to get the same thing - only different. I use the lens close to wide open, for the wonderfully shallow depth of field. It allows me to isolate the red berries agains the sunlit reeds of the far river bank, while the impressionistic blur of the nearby foliage gives a perceived depth to the picture.


300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor. 1/1250 at f/4.  - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400. Monopod


© 2012

1 comment:

Nic said...

Five little red <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 s.

:) x