Gallery

Friday, December 14, 2012

Green...

From the bright, raw winter days of early week, we descend into a low pressure system come Friday. Not to say that it isn't warmer as a result, but an hour after sunrise this morning it was still somewhat dark, as the rain - lashed by the wind - beat against my windows. This kind of weather, to me, is manna from heaven as far as photography is concerned, and I start making plans to visit the beach during mid afternoon, so all that lovely gloom coincides with low tide. Well, that was the plan...

Except that shortly after mid-day, a pale sun filters through the clouds and the mood changes once again. So, leaving it relatively late in the day before I venture outside with a camera, I pack two zoom lenses - an ultra-wide and standard zoom - and set off for the coast.

As so often happens on such days, the strong westerly wind keeps most people away, so I have all that glorious later afternoon, winter light to myself. In fact, I would be inclined to describe it as my favourite light: a low sun illuminating the underside of cloud, and almost always moments before sunset. Beautiful.

But it's the green netting - installed by the local council each year in an effort to keep wind-blown sand from burying the promenades - that catches my eye; the last rays producing a dayglow effect that makes the shot.


24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/200 second at f/8. ISO 200. Monopod


© 2012

4 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

I checked out your blog cause you are mentioned often by Nic who I ran into in the blogosphere somehow - I don't even remember.

I looked back at a whole bunch of your photographs. Woh! Amazing. I hope that you make a good living at this because you are more than good at it. For one thing - you get outside. A lot. Of course there are amazing things to see there. All weather, all times of year. But you have more than just a good eye and good equipment. You bring it together as art. Thanks. If you don't mind, I will put a link on my blog to yours so I can get a frequent glimpse.

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you, Tim, for the kind words and comments. Please, feel free to link to my blog; it's always nice to welcome others to share in what I do, and to make new friends.

R

Nic said...

It's a very green green net, isn't it? You'd think they would have made it blue, though I like the effect.

I am pleased that Tim is popping by to say hello. Tim's lovely. :)

Richard Brewer said...

Blue is good; like the sea, but I feel the local council sourced the netting from a garden centre. :-)