Gallery

Monday, December 31, 2012

The benefit of insurance...

I'm not overkeen on selective colouring of photographs, but I thought I would round-off the year with something a little off-beat.

The weather forecast - admittedly from yesterday - hinted that the persistent strong winds and rain would clear around sunset, so I thought it might be a nice to capture the moment with my camera - you know the idea; the romantic notion of the sun setting on 2012 sort-of-thing. This would tie-in nicely with tomorrow's planned dawn shoot (you know the idea; the sun rising on, blah blah...), where again, the conditions are predicted to be good. Unfortunately it was not to be.

By 3.30pm it was blindingly obvious that I wasn't going to get any spectacular light, even though the rain had stopped by then, so I packed up and went home. If it's not beginning to happen 30 minutes before the sun goes down, then it's not worth waiting. Fortunately, I had taken a series of "insurance shots" (so I at least got something for my efforts), and photographed the small bunch of flowers, left some days previous on Boscombe Pier, in memory of four surfers who once frequented the area. I had already made the decision before taking the photograph to isolate the wilting blooms on the deserted pier with shallow depth of field; the post production colour/mono decision coming much later.


Happy New Year.



24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/100 second at f/4.5. ISO 400


© 2012

No comments: