Gallery

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Frame within a frame...

The high pressure weather system that was briefly positioned over the UK has since drifted east across Europe, and the skies have become heavily overcast: time for some photography.

Initially, I spend some time shooting details in the sand exposed by a retreating tide in Poole Harbour before moving on to fisherman's dock, where I spend a good forty five minutes attempting to produce an image with a strategically placed gull to complete the composition. All to no avail. It's here that I have a brief discussion - and a different perspective - with another photographer that happens along. We nod to each other in acknowledgement of the cameras we are holding before I speak: "Great light, isn't it?" I say. Clearly mistaking my enthusiasm for sarcasm, he replies: "Terrible, isn't it?"

We are both looking for different things, and both equally valid.

I give up with the gulls and wander onto Poole Quay to see what catches my eye, and it's a window on the corner of Custom House, situated on the quay itself, and the warmth of the scene within that produces today's photograph. However, it's the weather-worn wooden frame that gets my scrutiny, and I select a medium-wide aperture to throw the interior out of focus, and use the wooden arch to produce a frame within a frame, allowing the reflections of the scene behind me to complete the picture.


50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor. 1/250 second at f/4. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 640


© 2012

No comments: