Gallery

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A winter's day and burnished bark...

By the time I get out of the house for some photography it has become a typical British winter's day: overcast, damp and cold. Temperatures hover at around freezing - evident as broken ice on puddles after recent rain remains frozen, and in some cases has frozen over a second time.

Despite this there is a stark indication that spring has been trying to happen - at least before the current cold snap - in the form of blooming daffodils at Throop, Dorset (right). I first mentioned this in my 7th January post, where the shoots were up but not in flower. I had intended to return earlier to photograph the openings, but what with one thing and another I never managed it until today. A remarkable occurrence for January, to say the least.

Having got my shot by sprawling on the ground (protected by a strategically positioned bin liner - I think of most eventualities), I move on to Stour Valley Local Nature Reserve via the Muscliff Arboretum, and my attention is immediately drawn to a fine example of a Tibetan Cherry tree (Prunus serrula). I have passed this tree numerous times, and why I have not noticed its distinctive bark before is beyond me. I ask a passer by if they can identify the tree, and I'm reliably told it is an acer, but according to the arboretum species listing it is, in fact, a cherry. I will be returning to this particular specimen, with its burnished bark, in the coming months.


Both images: 90mm f/2.8D EX Sigma macro lens.

Top: 1/320 second at f/5.6. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400
Below: 1/320 second at f/6.3. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 500


© 2012

No comments: