Gallery

Saturday, January 07, 2012

Reserved cormorants...

After the (somewhat) recent blustery weather the weekend starts calm and clear, and I make my first visit for some months to the Stour Valley Local Nature Reserve, Dorset. I ride the entire length of the reserve, keeping an eye out for anything interesting (there are otters afoot, they say), but apart from emerging willow catkins there is little to point my lens at.

The area is largely deserted, apart from the odd fisherman along the river bank - surprising since it's a Saturday and the weather is bright - but it's the more expert variety that eventually gets my attention at the North west corner of the reserve. I stop to photograph electricity pylons reflected in the water (left), and notice several cormorants perched high up and drying themselves in the winter sunshine.

I switch lenses for the longest optic in my bag (why do I always have the big stuff at home when need it the most?) and zoom in to capture the scene in greater detail.




I had noticed this particular perch almost a year ago when I first visited the nature reserve, but either the birds or the light was not present when I was, so this time I relatively lucky, super-telephoto lenses notwithstanding, and get some acceptable shots (right).

Although very much in the grip of winter - and much colder days are yet to come, I feel - there are some signs of spring; particularly at Throop, where daffodils are up but not as yet open.

Top: 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/100 second at f/11
Right: 70-200mm f/2.8D Apo Sigma lens. 1/800 second at f/5.6.
ISO 200


© 2012

No comments: