Gallery

Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday 13th...


Well I ain't superstitious, sang Howlin' Wolf in 1961, and no black cat crossed my trail either, but for a moment the bad luck associated with the above day and date seemed to be playing a hand in the afternoon's proceedings. Having prepared my camera gear and dressed appropriately in thermal everything - maximum temperatures are expected to peak at 6ºC - my final check before leaving the house was the tyre pressures on my bike. It was at this point I thought things were beginning to work against me.

The dust cap on the rear wheel valve was somewhat recalcitrant as I tried to remove it for tyre inflation, but when it finally did yield it also took the valve itself with it as it came free. Nil desperandum: I simply replaced the tube with a fresh one and set off along the coast.

I make a number of stops for photographing whatever takes my fancy along the seafront of Poole Bay, Dorset, but it's the Twin Sails lifting bridge in Poole itself that really gets my interest, set against the winter sky. The bridge was slated to be opened this month, but from what I can glean that won't happen now until early March (the 9th was mentioned in conversation with a fellow snapper), but I'm lucky enough to be treated to a test closure shortly after I arrive (top).


Satisfied I had something of worth, I pack up and head home, but as I cycle along the edge of Parkstone bay it is evident there will be a sunset worth pointing a lens at, so I stop to make a number of exposures with a telephoto zoom lens as the sun dips below the distant hills of the Isle of Purbeck. The lone silhouette of a gull skimming the surface of the water makes the shot. Another successful image, the shooting location of which can be found below.

So, despite a slightly ominous start to today's outing things turned out rather well, dispelling the myth of the unlucky date. Of course, as they say in America: your mileage may vary.









Top: 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/80 second at f/9. - 0.33 EV compensation. Polariser. ISO 400
Below: 70-200mm f/2.8D EX Apo Sigma lens. 1/640 at f/9.  + 1.33EV compensation. ISO 200


© 2012

1 comment:

Nic said...

Successful images, indeed. :-) P