Gallery

Monday, January 02, 2012

Obliging gull...


The first decent light of the new year and I'm out on my bike for some photography. In fact it's a crisp winter's day with a stiff breeze, and conditions are ideal for water sports, so I head for Poole Harbour to see if there is any action. There is, of course, plenty to photograph, but I have numerous shots of kite and wind surfers and today I'm just not inspired.

The sky had remained a cloudless blue for most of the day, but during mid afternoon clouds roll in from the Southwest and the sky suddenly becomes more interesting than those rubber-clad figures scooting along in the middle distance. I change lenses and start photographing the cloud formations. Interesting as they are, ideally need something as a focal point. I keep making exposures until a gull obligingly flies into position to complete the composition. At that point I know I've got the shot I'm after.

The shower clouds disappear almost as quickly as they arrived, but by that time the light - and the water sports enthusiasts - have gone; closely followed by me.


24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/800 second at f/8. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

1 comment:

Nic said...

Very lovely. Thank you for posting your photographs. They make me happy.

:-) P