Gallery

Thursday, July 05, 2012

He who has a golden armament...

It couldn't be much different, weather-wise, today: clear blue skies and light winds grace the southern counties of the UK - that, coupled with low afternoon tides - and I'm out scouring the surf line with a camera.

I find this leisurely approach very therapeutic as well as productive, as I have yet to fail in finding something of interest, exposed by the retreating waves. I get the usual stock images of seaweed and stones, but am surprised to find a jellyfish washed up on the shore.

I have never seen such a sight on the beaches of Poole Bay, Dorset, let alone be able to name the species, but a swift bit of research on the internet once at home identifies it as a Compass jellyfish (Chrysaora hysocella) - common, it seems, in British waters, and named after Chrysaor in Greek mythology. I didn't disturb it at all, let alone touch it (something you never do when photographing wildlife) which is just as well, I suppose, as the venom contained in its stinging cells can produce painful, long-lasting weals on humans. There, you have been advised. The animal is not dead; merely waiting for the tide to come back in so it can float off and do jellyfish-type things once again in the open sea.


24-70mm f/2.8D AF-S Nikkor. 1/640 second at f/8. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

2 comments:

Nic said...

And what did I call myself only yesterday (or maybe the day before)?

Richard Brewer said...

It's you! ;-)