Gallery

Monday, July 16, 2012

The surfer remains...

I have the feeling that, come two weeks or so from now - just when it is needed the most - all this wind that seems to be relentless at the moment, will die away and leave the Olympic sailing events just along the coast with a flat calm. In fact, catching the end of the early evening television weather forecast for the coming week, I heard the chap mention that summer (if it ever materialises) - although not quite here yet - may be just around the corner.

Hope springs eternal.

In the meantime I make do with strong winds and the occasional shower. I spend part of the afternoon on Boscombe Pier, shooting anything that attracts my attention. I had made a number of photographs of a talented kitesurfer further along the beach earlier, but once again curse my lens choice. It always seems that when suitably equipped with telephoto lenses I don't get the subject content, and vice versa. Never mind.

There are the usual handful of surfers by the pier, but it is this shot of the running couple on the beach that I decide is the best frame of the session. Out of interest, I removed the surfer stood on the waterline in the middle distance, just to see the effect it would have during post processing, but the shot didn't work without the third figure. The fact that my main subjects are leaving the frame creates a tension in the image.


50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor. 1/500 second at f/8. ISO 400


© 2012

No comments: