Gallery

Friday, July 13, 2012

The Olympic Torch comes to town...

The 8 o'clock news on the radio this morning appeared to give the impression that a significant percentage of the UK - polled by someone or other - is less than interested in the forthcoming London 2012 Olympics. From what I witnessed tonight this is simply not true.

Day 56 of the torch relay, and the Olympic Flame travels through Dorset - the county that will host the sailing events in Weymouth and Portland - witnessed by tens of thousands of spectators that lined Bournemouth's roads this evening - and that is not including those attending the free concert held on the beach once the torch had arrived.

I had agonised for most of the afternoon over what choice of lens(es) to use for the shoot. I knew I wouldn't have much time as the torch bearer passed, and I felt two camera bodies with suitably different lenses would not be practical, so I pack my bag with the Holy Trinity (12-24mm;  24-70mm and a 70-200mm zooms to cover all bases) and elect to decide on which one once I get into position. I arrive about an hour early and immediately opt for a standard zoom. I then spend around 50 minutes checking and rechecking my settings and waiting for this once in a lifetime event... before checking it all over again as the crowds began to build; and then checking it again...

I finally convince myself that everything is as it should be, and to leave things alone; but moments before the torch procession arrives I change my mind (and lenses) and fit a telephoto zoom. A wise move, as it turns out, as no sooner does the runner appear than the crowds surge across the road to get closer. Had I used my original choice of lens I would have got very little (apart from enthusiastic bystanders), but my second guess optic saved the day as I was able to isolate my subject and get the shot.


70-200mm f/2.8D Apo Sigma lens. 1/640 second at f/4. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 500


© 2012

No comments: