Gallery

Saturday, July 07, 2012

Rain...

The Environment Agency estimate that parts of Dorset experienced a month's rain fall in the past 24 hours: easy to believe as it has not stopped raining since Thursday night - but that just won't stop me getting out for some moody rain photography - or surfers, er... surfing.

The beach I visit is entirely deserted as far as the eye can see (through the gloom) in either direction at Southbourne, Bournemouth, and the seven people that are visible are in the water, catching waves. No beginners here, it seems, and each man (I see no women) is quite a capable performer. Unfortunately, I am woefully inadequate, lens wise, to make a good job of the action. I know some aggressive cropping will be needed to produce anything useful, but the resulting graininess will add to the overall effect. I smile knowingly and start shooting.

The rain is also a constant problem in spite of the fact that my lens has a deep hood fitted: after every time I raise the camera to photograph I have to clean the lens of water droplets. I'm using a paper kitchen towel to do this as it is quick and effective - not a method I recommend for general lens cleaning, but since I have a Skylight 1A filter protecting the front element it concerns me not. This is the only time I use such protection on any of my lenses, but I would rather scratch a (comparatively) cheap filter than rub off the multi-coating on the lens itself, hence the coarse treatment.


24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/500 second at f/8. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 640


© 2012
 

No comments: