Gallery

Saturday, March 03, 2012

Better than expected...

I've just about had it with weather forecasts that make predictions several days in advance. More often than not they are unreliable, making the planning of specific photographic shoots a lottery. A swift look at a satellite weather map, and then a look out of the window on the day seems to be the best policy when conditions are unsettled.

Today, rain is predicted for the best part, but by mid morning the cloud rolled away overhead and blue skies appeared: time for that reshoot of willow catkins. Since I am shooting a predetermined subject I restrict my lens choice to a standard zoom and a macro lens. Not ideal, as it turns out.

I take my catkin photographs as planned (the final results almost as disappointing as the previous attempt, but better quality), before noticing a nearby hawthorn in full bloom. But as spectacular as it is, the real treat is the appearance of a Red Admiral butterfly, busily feeding from flower to flower. Of course, my long lenses are at home, so I make do with what I have (image), making the mental note to return with something more appropriate another day.

Monday is supposed to be good, weather wise, but that's another story.


105mm f/2.8D Sigma macro lens. 1/800 second at f/7.1. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

1 comment:

Dusty said...

Lovely photo , the butterfly is so clear and the blue sky just finishes it off .