Gallery

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Cherry Blossom Orchard: cherry blossom on the trees...

A foggy start to the day gave way to warm spring sunshine, so I pay a second visit to the Stour Valley Local Nature Reserve with the preconceived intention of photographing willow catkins with a fast wide angle lens.

The lens I had for the job was a Sigma 20mm f/1.8, which I have had since the days I shot on film. Now, most lenses perform at their best when stopped down a couple of f-stops, so it was something of a gamble to use such an optic wide open for the most effective differential focus. Unfortunately, my suspicions were confirmed when I opened the resulting files on my computer. A reshoot is already planned.

Blissfully unaware that I had not got the images I thought I had, I move to the perimeter of the reserve, and come across the blossoming cherry trees of Cherry Tree Orchard. It is sights like this (photo) that epitomise the season of spring for me, and my macro lens gets its most use during the year. Wonderful.


105mm f/2.8D Sigma macro lens. 1/320 second at f/11. ISO 500. Monopod


© 2012

No comments: