Gallery

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spring...

No doubt in my mind: it's here.The weather, the wild and plant life all shout it, although curiously, some of the flowers that promised so much in the early part of the year now appear to be lagging behind: daffodils, I'm looking at you (if only). Maybe I am being a little impatient. More than likely.

I spend a few hours in the Stour Valley Local Nature Reserve in Dorset, and in that time I am treated to the sights of a Great Spotted Woodpecker, a kingfisher, a buzzard, a Red Admiral butterfly and the chap on the right; the only one of which I got a shot of. The others were simply too far away or too quick.

Oh yes, the chap on the right is a Little Egret.


As I mentioned above the flora (as well as the fauna) is kicking off, and the photograph of the Common Hawthorn flowering against a blue sky sums up spring for me, and I couldn't resist the opportunity once again to take a few shots.

I also spend a while talking to a fisherman on the riverbank - not my cup of Earl Gray, fishing - but you never know what gem of local information these people may impart, and today I'm lucky. I know otters have re-established themselves on the Dorset Stour, but as yet I have not had the pleasure of seeing, let alone photographing one. All that is to change, it seems.

"Otters! You want otters?" the angler asks. Yes, I say, and he goes on at some length, giving me precise directions to the location where I will find them. Seemingly satisfied that I have understood him to the letter, and to drive the point well and truly home, he concludes his deliverance with: "...and if you don't find them there, then you won't find them anywhere. I stake my reputation on it". What reputation, I think to myself - I have no idea who he is! I thank him and cycle off.

Tomorrow is time for a spot of reconnaissance... and a long lens.


Top: 300mm f/4D AF-S Nikkor. 1/2500 second at f/7.1.  -1stop EV compensation. ISO 400
Below: 24-70mm f/2.8D AF-S Nikkor. 1/800 second at f/5.6. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

3 comments:

Nic said...

He may be a most reputable fisherman. You just never know.

I am, frankly, jealous. It's not fair that you saw all those things in one day. I saw a bumble bee and a cat. And a fly experienced an untimely death when it landed on my painted door. So for a brief time I saw a live fly too.

Humph.

:-) P

(And also I am getting rather disgruntled by the long words I have to type in to prove I am not a robot. They sound like dinosaurs to me. This one say 'Stegaror'. Rrrrrr. )

Richard Brewer said...

Pixie: for all I know he may have been the fisher of men!

I was very lucky to see what I did, this afternoon. Although I see kingfishers all the time on the reserve, and hear the woodpeckers frequently, the buzzard was a surprise - and a long way off.

Still a bee and a cat is nothing to be sniffed at. :-)

Nic said...

I have never sniffed a cat.

:-P