Gallery

Monday, March 12, 2012

Off the rocks...

As planned yesterday, I set out in the early afternoon in search of otters on the Dorset Stour. It is mainly a reconnaissance trip today, but I am travelling fully equipped. just in case. My first choice location visit drew a blank, but chatting to a local (another fisherman), I was informed that I was in the right area - but my timing was poor. He advised me to try a specific stretch of riverbank further upstream. I acknowledge his input and get back on my bike.

My secondary location, as supplied by the aforementioned angler, proved to be just as fruitless, otter wise, but no matter. Making further enquiries I was constantly informed by people with local knowledge that early morning was my best bet - but not here: "You want to go further upstream for otters", they all advised. I did, but still no evidence of my quarry. Again, it didn't matter, as it was a fine, warm spring day and I was enjoying the scenery as much as anything.

I decide to give the search another half mile or so when I come across a weir across the river, and more importantly, a Grey Heron and Little Egret vying for space to feed in prime positions. Well, it was somewhat more one sided than that, as the heron - by far the larger of the two birds - was not willing to tolerate the egret's presence, and repeatedly chased it off of rocks. It is during this activity that I am able to get some good flight shots.

No otters today, but that hardly mattered in the end.



300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter.

Top: 1/2000 second at f/5.  -1 stop EV compensation. ISO 400
Right: 1/4000 at f/5. - 1 stop EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

No comments: