Gallery

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Distracted...

The blanket of cloud on the visible satellite image provided by the Met Office was, apparently, wafer thin, so once the sun got high enough it burnt large holes in it across the UK. I hadn't planned on shooting today, but once it brightened up I found the idea irresistible.

I think about resuming my search for otters, and return to a local river, suitably equipped with the right lens, primarily to cover more ground than earlier in the week. It is, however, something of a half-hearted hunt as I know it is not the best time of day for a sighting. Nevertheless, I keep an eye out all the same for evidence of their presence. Nothing.

Despite drawing a blank in that respect I do come across something worth photographing, though, as it is the mating season. Several pairs of ducks and Mute Swans are busying themselves with ritualistic behaviour on the river: this mallard, for example, taking flight from the river in pursuance of a female. Quite easy to get images like this, since the waterfowl have other things on their minds than me being there, taking photographs.


300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/2000 second at f/5.  - 1 stop EV compensation. ISO 640. Monopod


© 2012

No comments: